Oral History Program:
The Naval Historical Foundation’s Oral History program was launched in 1996. With the assistance of volunteers from around the country, the program has gathered over two hundred oral histories and memoirs. These interviews and memoir donations help preserve the history of the Military Service and offer valuable insights into the history and practices of the Navy. Researchers can find copies of these sources at the Operational Archives of the Naval History and Heritage Command, the Navy Department Library, and libraries at the Naval Academy, Naval Postgraduate School, and Naval War College, and now online!
Please visit our Naval Historical Foundation Oral History Index for a listing of 196 completed oral histories.
Volunteers may use the Naval Historical Foundation’s Oral History Guidelines.
Please review the Naval History and Heritage Command guidelines on how to write and submit your own memoirs.
Selected Oral Histories Online:
- Rear Admiral Frank J. Allston, USN (Ret.)
- Pharmacist’s Mate Second Class Felix (George) Appleton, USN
- Vice Admiral Marmaduke G. Bayne, USN
- CAPT Franklin H. Beardsley, Jr., USN (Ret.)
- CAPT Edward F. Bronson, USN (Ret.)
- Rear Admiral Thomas F. Brown III
- Rear Admiral Martin D. Carmody, USN (Ret.)
- Captain Robert J. Coontz, USN (Ret.)
- Admiral William J. Crowe, Jr.
- Rear Admiral Peter K. Cullins
- YNC John B. Desrosiers, Jr. and D-Day
- LCDR C. Douglas Dillon, USNR
- Rear Admiral Wallace R. Dowd, Jr., SC, USN (Ret.)
- Vice Admiral James H. Doyle, Jr.
- Seaman Paul Peter Fix
- LCDR John F. Floberg, USN
- Rear Admiral Mack C. Gaston
- Capt. Robert C. Gillette
- CDR Harold R. Gordinier, USN (Ret.)
- Vice Admiral William D. Houser
- ADM George E.R. Kinnear II, USN, (Ret.)
- CDR David Leighton, USN (Ret.)
- Dr. Philip Karl Boraas Lundeberg
- Admiral Kinnaird McKee
- AMM2 I. Robert Miller
- Vice Admiral Henry C. Mustin
- Rear Admiral Chester W. Nimitz, Jr.
- CAPT Robert D. Rawlins, USN (Ret.)
- LT Jack C. Taylor
- Capt. Jerry Wages, USN (Ret.)
- Rear Admiral Kenneth E. Wilson, Jr.
- Torpedoman Second Class Donald R. Witmer and the Kamikaze Attack on USS Twiggs (DD 591)
- TRANSCRIPT OF 1999 KIMMEL CONTROVERSY COLLOQUIUM