Life on a Fletcher Class Destroyer in the 1950’s

USS Halsey Powell NH 91903

The author served in USS Halsey Powell (DD 686), shown here in an undated post-World War II photo. NHHC image NH 91903.


By Captain George Stewart, USN (Retired)

This is the first of a series of articles describing life in the 1950s on a World War II built Fletcher Class Destroyer. My connection to these ships began as I was approaching graduation from the Massachusetts Maritime Academy in August of 1956. Due to a change in legislation it was suddenly announced that all of my class would be required to serve on active duty in the Navy for 3 years upon graduation. My orders turned out to be to the USS Halsey Powell (DD 686), a Fletcher Class Destroyer home ported in San Diego, California. At the time I had not quite reached my 21st birthday.

The Fletcher class destroyers were authorized as part of the 1941-42 Shipbuilding Program. They incorporated many lessons learned from earlier classes of destroyers built during the 1930s and in the early stages of World War II, particularly relating to stability and sea keeping ability. During the 1930s, the Navy had produced a succession of “step deck” destroyer designs with raised forecastles. But the Fletcher Class reverted to a “flush deck” design like the destroyers of World War I. Most of the ships were initially assigned to the Pacific Fleet where they were to play a major role in the war.

A total of 175 Fletcher Class Destroyers were commissioned between 4 June 1942 and 22 February 1945. The lead ship of the class was USS Fletcher (DD 445). Hull numbers ranged between 445 and 691 plus an additional block between 792 and 804. The ships were built in 11 different shipyards. A total of 19 ships of the class were lost to war action and 6 more were damaged beyond repair. My ship, USS Halsey Powell (DD 686) was built at Bethlehem Steel, Staten Island. It was commissioned in October 1943.

The major ship characteristics were as follows:

  • Length – 376.5’
  • Beam – 39’7”
  • Draft – 18’
  • Standard Displacement – 2150 Tons
  • Screws – 2
  • Rudders – 1
  • Power – 60,000 HP
  • Design Speed – 36 Knots
  • Range – 4790 nautical miles at 15.8 knots
  • Wartime Complement – 329 Personnel
  • Normal peacetime – 14 Officers – 236 Enlisted

The Main Battery consisted of five single dual purpose (Surface to surface and Anti-Air) 5”/38 Gun Mounts. Two mounts were located forward and three aft. Mounts were numbered consecutively from forward to aft (51, 52, 53, 54, and 55). These mounts had a firing rate up to 18 rounds per minute. Effective range was 17,306 yards at 45° elevation and altitude of 32,250 feet at 85° elevation. The total crew for reach mount was approximately 20, counting personnel in the mount, upper and lower handling rooms, and projectile & powder magazines. The guns used semi-fixed ammunition (projectile and powder loaded separately). Guns could be fired using radar, computer generated, or visual information. All training, elevation, and firing was normally controlled from the Mk 37 Director on top of the pilot house. However all loading functions were accomplished manually. There was a 5 inch loading machine on the main deck amidships that replicated the loading mechanism of the guns. These were used for training gun crews.

Occasionally I was assigned duties as check sight observer during live firing exercises. My purpose was to look through a telescope and ensure that the gun was pointed where it should be. This was an assignment that I absolutely loathed.

The destroyer was originally conceived as a counter to high speed torpedo boats around the turn of the century. The first US Navy destroyer was USS Bainbridge (DD 1), which entered service in 1903. By the time of World War I, the destroyer had become a major part of the fleet. During that war its primary duties were convoy escort and antisubmarine patrol. Originally, the primary purpose of the ships was to deliver torpedoes against surface targets and this thinking carried over into World War II. Therefore, the Fletchers were originally fitted with two five tube surface to surface torpedo mounts, each located immediately aft of one of the stacks. As the threat imposed by aircraft became more apparent, one of the mounts was later removed and replaced with anti-aircraft protection.

Another reason for the demise of the surface to surface torpedo was the invention of radar which essentially destroyed any stealth advantages that the destroyer possessed. I only remember a couple of live firing exercises. The approach was by the “John Wayne” method consisting of a 25 knot approach, delivery of the weapon, and a high speed retreat.

The surface to surface torpedo essentially disappeared from the post war fleet, although destroyer types were later fitted with anti-submarine homing torpedoes.

Other weaponry included:

  • Two quad (4 barrel) 40 MM AA gun mounts – These replaced the forward torpedo mount.
  • Three twin (2 barrel) 40 MM gun mounts
  • Two depth charge tracks
  • Six depth charge projectors
  • Six 20 MM gun mounts

After the war all 20 MM gun mounts were removed and the forward 40 MM mounts were replaced by a pair of ahead thrown anti-submarine projectile (Hedgehog) mounts. Additionally, a number of the ships had their 40 MM mounts replaced by 3”/50s.

Fletchers were the first destroyers to be fitted with radar. The ships carried surface search, air search, and fire control radars. The surface search radar had a range out to the horizon (about 10-12 miles) while the air search (when it worked) could see out to about 40-45 miles. The fire control radar was used strictly for control of the 5” gun battery.

The advent of radar resulted in a new space being created, called the Combat Information Center (CIC). On Halsey Powell, it had been converted from what was originally the unit commander’s cabin. The CIC later evolved into the major nerve center for conducting all surface, subsurface, and anti-air/missile operations aboard naval ships.

The ships were propelled by a twin screw steam propulsion plant rated at 60,000 HP that could produce a maximum speed somewhere between 35 and 37 knots. Considering that this was with 1930s technology, this was a very respectable level of power and it would still be considered as such today.

Superheated steam was generated in four oil burning boilers at a pressure of 600 pounds per square inch and a temperature of 850° F. Two boilers were installed in each fire room. Each of the two stacks served a pair of boilers. The boilers were of the divided furnace or “M” type with separate furnaces for control of steam pressure and temperature (superheat). These boilers were used on nearly all World War II era carriers, battleships, cruisers, and destroyers. A disadvantage of this type of boilers was that they imposed some definite limitations on the ability to conduct low speed maneuvering on short notice.

There were two cross compounded geared steam turbine main engines. Each engine consisted of a high pressure (HP) and low pressure (LP) turbine set driving its associated propeller shaft through a double reduction gear.  The rated output of each engine was 30,000 HP at a propeller speed of 395 RPM. The HP and LP turbines were connected in series with respect to steam flow and in parallel mechanically into the reduction gear. A smaller cruising turbine was mounted on the front end of the HP turbine. Astern elements were provided in the LP turbine. To go astern you had to shut off steam to the ahead turbines before you could admit steam to the astern turbine. Control was manual; by hand wheels mounted on a large gage board adjacent to the engine in response to engine order telegraph signals from the bridge.

The electrical plant consisted of two 350 kW 450 VAC steam turbine driven ship service generators (SSTG), one in each engine room plus a 100 kW emergency diesel generator located in the forward part of the ship. By comparison, a modern destroyer has three 2500 to 3000 kW generators.

Machinery spaces were in an echelon arrangement, with alternating fire rooms and engine rooms. The starboard shaft was about 75’ longer than the port shaft. This provided for redundancy in the event of battle damage and it remains the practice today on twin screw naval vessels. From forward to aft, the spaces were:

  • Forward (#1) Fire Room containing #1 and #2 Boilers and associated forced draft blowers, fuel pumps, and associated equipment.
  • Forward (#1) Engine Room containing the Starboard (#1) Main Engine, #1 ship service generator, a 12,000 gallon per day distilling plant, and associated auxiliary equipment. This was designated as the Control Engine Room and it was the station for the Engineering Officer of the Watch (usually a CPO) who was responsible for coordinating the operation, including communications with the bridge. This was the Chief Engineer’s station when entering or leaving port or under battle conditions.
  • After (#2) Fire Room containing #3 and #4 Boilers and associated equipment. Except for the starboard shaft running through it, the space was essentially the same as the Forward Fire Room.
  • After (#2) Engine Room, essentially a mirror image of the Forward Engine Room containing the Port (#2) Main Engine, #2 generator, and associated equipment.

Normal steaming configuration was with two boilers on the line in a “Split Plant” configuration with one boiler in each fire room supplying its associated engine and all valves connecting the forward and after plants closed. Essentially this provided two completely independent engineering plants. Two boilers were capable of providing speeds up to 28 knots which was adequate for most operations.

Access to each of these spaces was by hatches and vertical ladders to the Main Deck above. There were two means of egress from each space, one port and one starboard. There was no access between spaces below the Main Deck. To go between machinery spaces it was “up and over”.

An environmentalist would look askance at ships of this era. All commodes and urinals discharged directly overboard. When I was Chief Engineer, my night orders told my sailors to only pump bilges at night while in port. We still had the capability to lay smoke screens. All trash and garbage was dumped overboard at sea. The ships had to take on sea water ballast directly into the fuel tanks to maintain stability under light loading conditions and deballasting operations at sea took several hours during which we would be discharging a nasty looking oil slick. The machinery spaces were loaded with asbestos insulation. Fortunately, we do much better today at protecting the environment.

Living accommodations were nothing to brag about. Sailors were berthed by division in 4 high tiers of canvas bunks with upright lockers. The practice of placing portholes in the side for ventilation had gone away and there was no air conditioning. The galley was on the main deck and all food had to be carried down in large trays to the mess deck below. A drawback to the ship design was the lack of a fore and aft passage inside the ship, making it possible for the two ends of the ship to be cut off from each other during bad weather when it was unsafe to go out on deck.

The Chief Petty Officers had their own mess. But their berthing accommodations were not much better than those of the crew. As officers we lived somewhat better, but our accommodations were not very sumptuous either. The captain had his own cabin and head. He also had a small sea cabin adjacent to the bridge. The wardroom and officers mess was on the Main Deck forward, just aft of Mount 52. All of the rest of us lived one deck down in “Officer’s Country” in small two man staterooms. We all shared the same head. Only the Executive Officer had his own stateroom.

The Fletcher class destroyers are still regarded as the best destroyers produced by any navy during World War II. The Sumner (DD 692) and Gearing (DD 710) class ships were essentially improved versions of the Fletchers. But they did not really get into the war soon enough to make as much of an impact. Because the navy had a surplus of ships after the war, many of the Fletcher Class destroyers, including Halsey Powell were decommissioned, and placed into reserve fleets in 1946.

Halsey Powell and many of her sister ships were re-commissioned in 1952 at the outbreak of the Korean War. By the 1960s a number of them, including Halsey Powell had been assigned to Naval Reserve training duties. In the early 1960s the navy embarked on a major effort referred to as the FRAM (Fleet Rehabilitation and Modernization) program. But the majority of the ships upgraded under this program were of the Sumner and Gearing classes.

Some Fletchers were still around during the Vietnam War, but all had been decommissioned by 1971. Thirty Two were sold to foreign navies, including my old ship, USS Halsey Powell  which became the ROK Seoul. The last active Fletcher was the USS John Rogers (DD 574) which served in the Mexican Navy until 2001. For those interested in visiting a Fletcher class museum ship, there are three located around the United States: USS Cassin Young (DD 793) in Boston, MA, USS Kidd (DD 661) in Baton Rouge, LA, and USS The Sullivans (DD 537)  in Buffalo, NY.

More details concerning life on a Fletcher Class destroyer will be provided in upcoming articles.

(read part 2 here)

George W. Stewart is a retired US Navy Captain. He is a 1956 graduate of the Massachusetts Maritime Academy. During his 30 year naval career he held two ship commands and served a total of 8 years on naval material inspection boards, during which he conducted trials and inspections aboard over 200 naval vessels. Since his retirement from active naval service in 1986 he has been employed in the ship design industry where he has specialized in the development of concept designs of propulsion and powering systems, some of which have entered active service. He currently holds the title of Chief Marine Engineer at Marine Design Dynamics.

Spread the word. Share this post!


  1. Pingback: Manning Fletcher Class Destroyers | Naval Historical Foundation

  2. Pingback: Fletcher Class Destroyer Operations | Naval Historical Foundation

  3. vince marino


    This is a great article. I tour the Cassin Young quite often and getting first hand accounts of life on board brings the ship alive ( sadly, she may not have much longer to “live” as the Navy doesn’t have the funds to continue needed repairs to keep her afloat). For example, I did not know you couldn’t go from one end to the other without being outside on deck. I also assumed food from the galley had an unseen elevator available. Carrying heavy trays of hot food in bad seas had to be hard. I look forward to the next chapters.

    • geoge monaghan


      I was on the Fletcher DD445. Our food was served to us down below on the Mess Decks. It was brought below by the mess cooks. Your right the idea of carry food below is crazy ??
      We finally got A/C in 1966. Also I was a Boilerman. On the Fletcher we had D type boilers.

        • George W. Stewart


          Virtually all of the major combatants of destroyer size and above including the Fletcher, Sumner, and Gearing classes that entered service during World War II were fitted with M Type boilers with divided furnaces, one of which contained separate burners for control of superheat. At least one ship in Our Squadron, the USS Shields had been back fitted with D type single furnace boilers with integral superheaters as an experimental installation. D type boilers were used on World War II built steam powered destroyer escorts and they became virtually universal on all conventional steam powered vessels that entered service after the war. An exception being the pressurized furnace boilers that were fitted on the Garcia (DE/FF 1040) class ocean escorts built in the 1960s.

          • william clark

            All Gearing class and most all Fletcher class had M -type superheat controlled 600 psi boilers or they could not have reached 32+ knots . I was on The USS Furse DDR 882 and the Richard E Krause DD 849 back in 1957 to 1970, also on the DLG 8 MacDonough, and DLG 32 Stanley which had Foster wheeler Boilers of 1200 PSI with Auto combustion controls. I cannot count the times I had to clean the firesides and watersides over those period of times on those 600 PSI M-Type Boilers. Not to mention all those Handhole plates that had to be replaced with new gaskets for Hydro test afterwards.

      • Steve Krenz


        I was a BT aboard the USS Sproston DD-577 in the same unit as the Fletcher. Our home port was Pearl Harbor. We had B&W M type boilers not D types.



          Hello Shipmate, Krenz. I served on the Sproston at Pearl Nov. 1966 thru decom.
          1968. Went to Vietnam Mar. 1967 thru Aug 1967. My name is Maurice (CHEVY)
          Chevalier, RM1. Was ordered to the USS Davidson (DD-FF- 1045). Was promoted
          to Radioman Chief during deployment to Vietnam (again) NOV. 1967.
          Do you know of anyone who served on SPROSTON who has Medical issues that could be related to Agent Orange? Mu reason for asking – I filed a claim in 2012 for Disability Compensation – Type II Diabetes, Ischemic Heart Disease and other related problems caused by Toxins in Agent Orange. My claim was denied –
          I’m considered to be “not elligiable ” because I was a BLUE WATER NAVY VIETNAM VETERAN.

          Your response would be greatly appreciated.

          Shipmate, Maurice R. Chevalier, CPO, USN(ret) Now 81 yrs.

      • Jerry Stephenson BTC UJSN Ret


        Were you on the Shields? Only 2100 ton DD that I’m aware of having the “D” type boilers.

        • George Stewart


          I did not serve on Shields. But it was in our squadron. I visited the ship once to take a look at its boilers. If I remember correctly they had 8 burners which we felt were far too many.

      • Joe Gatlin


        Sorry George. Fletcher had “M” type boilers. That is, one side of the boiler produced saturated steam and the other side produced superheated steam. I was among the last crew of Fletcher and later served as Engineer Officer on USS Braine DD-630 and USS W L Lind DD-703.
        To answer the question below, these DD’s had controlled superheat, usually at 750 or 850 deg F. The temperature of 600 psi sat steam is 489 deg F.

        • E richardson


          Ahoy Joe, I served on the USS Braine 61-64 Gunners mate 3-50s and helmsman.

          • Frans Bouman

            If you remember an FT laboriously repairing the canvas cover for 32 that got ripped when in the Taiwan Strait – that was me.
            Small world.

      • Tony


        George my Father in law was on the Fletcher 1953-1956 in the boiler room Otis Lyons, he has recently passed and we will be having a memorial service for him. I appreciate you and him for your service and sacrifice.

    • Reply

      This article was very informative for me. My father served on DD663
      the Heywood L Edwards.
      He spent his time in one of the Engineering Rooms (if I remember correctly). He was aboard from 43/44 (can’t remember what he told me) through the occupation of the Land of the Rising Sun. Later the Edwards (663) was sold to the Japanese Navy…..kind of ironic considering its war record. My father was
      Lt. Eugene H Edwards USNR.
      Thank you for the information.

      • Doug Keener


        Our father was a Torpedoman TC on the Waller DD466 from New Calidonia January 1943 until decommissioning at Charleston, SC Navy Yard 1946.

        Please see the article I wrote on the Waller Website. I took my son on board the Cassin Young in 2009. We enjoyed going to the Fire Control on the bridge where my father was assigned during battle.

  4. Reply

    I served on a Gearing long hull during the Viet Nam war, and it was essentially just as you descrbed. We had ASROC launchers mounted amidships and had a helo deck and hanger for anti-sub helo ops, but mostly lived just as you had in the 1950’s.

    See the website above for an indication of how well they could survive modern mines.

    • Steve Winters


      I was an active duty Gunners Mate aboard Uhlmann until she was decommissioned and replaced as a Naval Reserve Trainer in Tacoma, WA by a Gearing, USS Brinkley Bass, DD887. She was scrapped in Portland, Oregon so I stopped by to get a couple of pictures and they cut a chunk of 1″ thick steel and gave to me, so a piece of her is still here!

  5. Pingback: Destroyers - Fletcher Class - Page 140

  6. Reply

    This a wonderful website and that is a great article by Capt. Stewart. I was a radioman on the USS Knapp DD-653 and my brother was an Ensign on the USS Cogswell DD-651 and we both served in the early 50’s. My other brother was in the army and he was also serving at the same time during the Korean War. I have a question regarding REPUN. How often did a Fletcher have to refuel while underway and was it an actual need for fuel or to keep the ballast up for stability?
    Pete Smith RM2c USS Knapp

    • George W. Stewart


      In response to Pete Smith’s question, here is what I remember.
      How often we were refueled depended a great deal on the operating circumstances. In a battle group, they tried to not let us get below 60%. This was for both operational and stability reasons. The weather in the South China Sea could be rather unpredictable. I described the circumstances in which we got caught in a typhoon and snapped our mast in a later article. We were always required to take on ballast during transits between Pearl Harbor and San Diego.
      Interestingly, my CO, Cdr Dave Loomis had served as XO aboard the USS Aylwin (DD 355) during WW II when it got caught in what was referred to as “Halsey’s Typhoon” and he had very strong views on ballastin. He is listed as one of the consultants in a book on this subject.
      We absolutely hated the exercise. In those days we had no tank level indicators and when deballasting we had to take the tank covers off and shine flashlights down into

      • Reply

        You answered my question completely and I appreciate your response. My ship, the USS Knapp DD-653 was also in Typhoon Cobra and picked up some of the survivors from the destroyers that capsized. Most people don’t realize that refueling at sea was difficult and dangerous.

  7. George W. Stewart


    (Continued) the tanks to make sure we had gotten all of the water out. If we were steaming in a column, the commodore had to put us in a line abreast foundation so we would not contaminate the distilling plants on ships astern of us with our oil slick.
    Hope this answers the question.

  8. John Bailey



    I served aboard the USS Nicholas (DD-449) in the late 60s as DASH and Gunnery Officer both, reporting to Weaps. This morning I plugged into Google’s search window “Fletcher destroyer longitudinals” hoping for information on Fletcher-class hull design and pulled up your articles. What a surprise and what a delight.

    My stateroom-mate was the Nick’s Chief Engineer. Did he have his work cut out for him!

  9. Harry Curtis


    Is a good read…
    I served in Ammen DD 527 in the late 50’s until the collision 19 July 1960 , with the USS Collett and her decommisioning in Sept 1960.The Fletcher’s were a wonderful little ship, one of my favorite’s that I served on.

  10. Richard Lingenfelter


    I served aboard the U.S.S. Henley D.D. 762 from Sept. 1952—May 26,1956. I was a BT in the after firerroom under Chief Richard Branch. Many remarks have been made about Destroyer duty, but I loved it, and would do it again.

  11. warren mitchell


    I served for 2 years on the USS Owen DD536 in CIC. 1953 – 1955. We were still all WW2 except for upgrades on electronics, no 20mm, and a tripod mast. It was a fine ship and I enjoyed my time on her as we were on the go a lot. Home port was Norfolk and later Long beach.

    • Robert Yerkes RD3


      Warren you wouldn’t by chance have a picture of CIC.I was on USS Conway DDE 507 1954-56 in Radar Gang

      • Robert J Peters


        Hey, Yerkes
        I remember you, R Peters BT3
        are yo attending the reunions each year ?
        Look on the internet USS Conway Reunions



    I was on the Vammen DE644 & the Isbell DD869. My buddy was on the Marshel DD676& He only rembers one way in &out but they were one port & one starbard. Am i right

    Thanks Hank



    I was on the Vammen DE644 & the Isbell DD869. My buddy was on the Marshel DD676& He only rembers one way in &out of the Eng rm but they were one port & one starbard. Am i right

    Thanks Hank

    • Reply

      There were always two ways in and out of the machinery spaces on the Fletcher Class Destroyers, one port and one starboard. The main entrances to the spaces were located on the Main Deck as follows:
      Forward Fire Room – Starboard
      Forward Engine Room -Port
      After Fire Room – Port
      After Engine Room – Starboard
      Each space also had a ladder on the opposite side of the space from the main entrances leading up to an emergency escape scuttle on the main deck.
      On ships designed in the early 1930s there was direct access between spaces through water tight doors in the bulkheads. By World War II direct access was prohibited and it was necessary to go “Up and Over” between spaces.
      George W. Stewart

  14. Howard Bennett Jr


    I served on the Fletcher Class Ship, USS Saufley DD DDE EDDE 465 in the early 1960’s thru the Cuban Missile Crisis. I was a Radioman (RM 3). I was aboard when JFK came on the Saufley for a review of the ships involved in the Blockade, in November 26, 1962.

    • richard bonnett


      hey shipmate… I was aboard 1963 up through mothballs in Portsmouth in 1965 …. contact me on cell phone at 301-674-0181 … I also have some pictures of President Kennedy visiting the ship … Are you planning to go to any reunions ? ..and did you make a career of the Navy ? What state do you live in ? And is your contact info with the reunion group ?

      • Tony Nardone


        Richard, I was on the repair ship in Portsmouth,helped put the Saufley out of commission. She was a good ship…TN

  15. Thom Lakso


    My father was a fire controlman on the McCord. He was one of the first Navy nerds. Fire control is an all to often forgotten inovation, but the Fletchers had the first Navy computers that gave greater accuracy to gun control.
    I served on the Prichett and Preston for almost six years. I am probably one of the last torpedomen to fire the old steam torpedoes before they were replaced with more modern ASW systems.
    You also right about cramped living and absence of privacy. “Where do you go for privacy?” This was the first question my wife asked when we toured the Kidd. Also I am very claustrophobic, but I only remember three bunk stacks not four.

  16. Michael Bell


    I was a Communications Technician Operator in the early 1970s on the USS FORRESTAL and was exclusively a teletype/crypto operator. I am curious about the radio work done in the 1950s. From what little I’ve found, I think each watch would have a couple of morse code operators copying the fleet broadcast and possibly ship to ship or ship to shore. There would also have been a couple of RMs copying teletype. Encryption was via a roto disk system (KL7?) as the tube or transistor crypto would have come some what later..

    Was the ship to shore comms via manual morse or was it teletype?

    I can see them using manual morse nets between ships but somehow using teletype in a ship to ship net seems unlikely (unless there was a strong net control operator!)

    I enjoyed your article and admit the FORRESTAL was much more pleasant.

    Michael Bell

    • Ed Vallette


      I was lead Radioman aboard the USS STEPHEN POTTER DD538 from 1956 to 1958. We had 6 RM’s and ship to ship and ship to shore was by CW. In good conditions we copied FOX on 2 teletypes (receive only)slightest bit of rough seas and teletype went out Then we copied FOX by CW. This was a rough hard trip; I had one RM3 the rest were RMSN….

  17. Kenneth foerster


    Re CT operator Michael Bells comments re 1950’s radio work. I was a RM2. In the
    Late 50’s , and we had teletype, CW, and crypto (I was a crypto operator) stationed
    In NSA Naples, Italy serving the Sixth fleet. We mainly copied teletype msgs, but once in a while we wud get a fleet operator on CW. All crypto msgs wereon teletype
    Our mid watch msgs, we’re limited to probably 2400 hrs to 0200/0300, and then we
    Lost our frequency contact, knocking everything out. We paid for this outage around
    0500 when everything came back on line, and it was nonstop until relieved at 0800…
    Does the code MVRIN mean anything to you???? Reply

  18. jerry burbridge


    I served on the U.S.S. Conway D.D. 507. I remember tying an uncapped fuel hose into the trunk when refueling at sea. When refueling was completed the station crew were the only ones to get a fresh water shower to get that black fuel off. Does anyone know the exact type of fuel we received?

    • George W. Stewart


      In those days we were burning Navy Special Fuel Oil (NSFO) which was a blend of Heavy Fuel Oil (HFO) and Navy Distillate. In the early 1970s the navy shifted over to a single fuel called DFM (Distillate Fuel Marine) that was much cleaner and could be burned in any type of plant aboard surface ships. This was a major factor that allowed a changeover from steam to gas turbine propulsion aboard surface combatants.

      • George W. Stewart


        Just one thing to add.

        The navy would have liked to go to a single fuel for everything but it is necessary to use a separate fuel, JP-5 for aircraft. DFM and JP-5 have many similar characteristics including the same flash point.But JP-5 contains additives to prevent congealing when the aircraft is operating in cold air at high altitudes. So now we have a two fuel navy, DFM & JP-5.

    • Bob Crocker BT2


      I remember salt water showers. We were always on water hours before clearing port. I was on decom crews of DD-447 & DD-450, these were good ships
      Bob Crocker BT-2

  19. Mike


    Could people have gone fore to aft (and vice versa) by going through engineering? I suspect that few non-snipes would either want to or would be allowed to do so.

    • George W. Stewart


      No. By World War II direct access between engineering spaces was prohibited and it was necessary to go “Up and Over. To get from forward to aft or vice versa it was necessary to go up on the main deck. On the Fletchers it was necessary to go out into the weather but the Sumner and Gearing class ships were fitted with enclosed passages.

  20. Bill Spillman


    I served on the Ammen DD527 (’59, ’60) and was also on it when it collided with the Collette in 1960. Also, on the Radford DD446 (CIC) out of Pearl from late ’60 thru 63. Four Wespac cruises and three typhoons. Loved it all!!! Radford Reunions every year since 1990. Losing a lot of shipmates as the years go by. One saying that applies to all of us and our Ships, is that as long as one of us is still alive, so are our ships.

  21. Robert Ulery


    I was an et on the Black DD 666, ’65 to ’67. We did gunfire & river boat support.
    She was sort of ratty by then & needed frequent patching up, but did 38.6 knots.
    In 1967 the navy offered to sell her to Uruguay, but the decided she was not in good enough condition & bought the USS Chickadee instead.

    The Black has an annual reunion. Contact: Nancy West of Placerville CA.

  22. Reply

    Best years of my life were in the U.S.S. Heermann DD 532. After fortunately attaining sea duty as the Korean conflict started, was able to depart NAS Agana, Guam and be assigned and be part of the commissioning of the U.S.S. Heermann DD 532 in San Diego, CA in 12 September, 1951. We sailed to England in July of ’53 for exercises during the Queen’s Coronation. Made our World Cruise on 7 December, 1953. I served aboard the Heermann till June of 1955 as GM2. Will always have fond memories of my days aboard a Fletcher Class destroyer. Our sister ship was the U.S.S. Hazelwood DD 531. Check out my website

  23. Ed Young


    I served on the USS Black DD666, ’59-’60, and the USS Allen M. Sumner DD692, ’64-’65. Have to admit the enclosed passageway fore and aft was a big improvement on Sumner. I can remember spending a lot of time in rough weather in the aft berthing compartment waiting for a break to try and go forward for food. Great tours on both ships though.

  24. Joseph N. Rich


    I went into navy in 6/23/5,at the age of 17 yrs.took my basic at Bainbridge, Md.,upon completion of same,was order to serve on the tender AD-19. Arrived on board in 10/22/52.Was assigned to 1st div. which was the deck apes. As time moved on I got luckily & was picked to go on temp. assignment aboard The U.S.S. Rich DDE 820 for helmsman training.(No Relation) to individual to whom the ship was named after. Six of my shipmates went along.We were on her for eight weeks plane guarding with the carrrier Lake Champlain the coast of Virgina. The first week we were all sea sick & even forgotten that we were there. Then one day whle out & under way during take off & landing excercise & the weather being nasty,the helmsman that were on duty were not having a good day of keeping on course. The Captain was also having a bad hair day. Some unknown Quartermaster the mention to the Captain that there were six trainees on board to be helmsman. The Captain made a quick decision & order that we start are training right then & there.The reason being that we would do a better job at staying on course. It was just my luck that I would be first! The only wheel I ever had was the steering of a tractor up to that momment of time. I took hold of the wheel from Qm3, & was given the correct course to steer. Well let me tell you if the more experience QM could not stay on course by 5 degrees ,what did he expect of six rookies. There I was frozen at the wheel watching the gryo needle going to starborad then coming back to port the sea was I thought were fifty high, here we are bouncing, rolling,& the Captain expects me to do a better job of staying the course! Well I manged to stay within 20 . Well that was some day for me & the rest of my mates. We all made it . We went back to our luxury liner. We did get underway for operation spring board, Brooklyn Naval,& Hurricane
    anchorage that seem to come every weekend in Norfolk during the 1950’s. We got must of our sea duty during that period. That was my short time served on a “TinCan”. Then I took a Tiger Cruise in 1970 from Pearl Harbor, HW. to SanDigo,CA. on board the U.S.S. Hewtt 966, asa guest of Captain Mayberry. That was great!

  25. Frank Schoenbeck


    Great article. Information that I very much appreciate.
    I served on two Fletcher’s, the Philip, DD498, (1967-68) and the Fletcher herself. (1968-69). I was a DC3 on her last WesPac cruise and was volunteered for her decommissioning crew, setting flooding alarms under the boilers. A fresh air snipe that deep in the hole. Sure glad it was VERY cold iron.
    As a Sounding and Security watchstander, I made that fore and aft trip across the 01 deck, no matter what weather, 8 times in 4 hours. Hard way to earn sea legs. I ended my hitch on the Dennis J. Buckley, DD808. She had the luxury on an interior passageway. I died and gone to heaven. Pumping the chain locker on any of them was a major seasick test which I failed on occasion.
    Thanks again for your article!
    Frank Schoenbeck

    • Joe Gatlin


      Frank, we were shipmates. Made the same WestPac cruise that you did. Our skipper made flag rank. Also, Ensign Bill Cobb, the EMO, made flag rank.

    • David A Moehrke


      Frank I was a BT in the forward fire room I was on board from April of 1965 until I think May or June of 1968. I made Second Class BT reenlisted requested and got BT C school ( automatic combustion control school) and (Pressure fired steam generator school) one of the easiest to operate boilers 1200lbs 975DEGF superheat. we carried up to 65psi combustion air pressure to the burners. These boilers were about one half the size of an M type boiler, but put out the same volume of steam @1200psi@975DEGF.

  26. Tony Cirillo


    I served aboard the USS KIDD 661 as part of her decommissioning crew. Just prior to that we took her on her last voyage from Philadelphia to Boston where we were greeted by a number of ex KIDD crew members (Korea and WWII). If you want to learn all the workings of a ship decommissioning is the way to do it. As a machinist mates we were responsible to decommission all engineering components. That is, other than boilers. For example, the emegency diesel was dismantled, thoroughly cleaned with spirits. New piston rings and a new head gasket were installed. However, not before everything was coated with cosmoline for protection. The head gasket was not torqued as the head will have to be removed remove the cosmoline. All valve stem packing was removed from each manual valve. New, cut to size, packing was place in water proof bags and attached, by wire, to each valve. All tools, spanner, cresent, open end/closed end wrenches, rachetts, etc. were coated with cosmoline and wrapped in heavy wax cloth and stored in the engine room work bench. This also went for the reduction gears and associated oil sump. Why you ask, did we do all this. We were told the ship had to be put in such a capacity that she could be put back in action in 30 days if called upon. Well she’e now a living museum in Baton Rouge, LA. She was brought back to her WWII armament. They have air conditioned some spaces to allow sleep overs by scouts. It’s amazing all the memories walking her decks brought back. Only a tin can sailor can appreciate this sea going grey hound for what she really is, home.

    • Debra Bales


      Tony Do you know where the USS Kidd was in 1956? I am looking to get info on Willard G Abney. who was on the Kidd 1945-1957….. Any info would be helpful

      • Dale Lay


        I was on the USS Kidd in June/July 1956. I was a Naval Reservist on TDY. We were at the Naval Station in San Diego. I was only onboard for about 30 days. Not long enough to get to know anyone.

  27. David FOGG U.S.N. Ret.


    I served 4 years on the Caperton DD650 went on right out of boot camp I was there for a week and the CO asked me if I wanted to be a cook. Good job I had a lot of buddies and a lot of cold beer in port went on for 20 that was the best duty God Bless Dave

  28. Donald W Hansen