- This event has passed.
2013 GI Film Festival
May 6, 2013 - May 12, 2013
The GI Film Festival (GIFF) announces its highly anticipated line-up for this year’s festival running May 6-12 in the DC Metro area. The award-winning GIFF unites Members of Congress and military leaders with Hollywood stars to honor veterans and service members through film and television. The nation’s seventh annual premier military film festival will feature 50 independent films. Red carpet parties and exclusive embassy events will take place throughout the festival.
“There is no question this is our most diverse film line-up to date, with every possible film genre, from action and adventure, to romance, to real-life stories of courage and sacrifice,” said GI Film Festival Co-Founder and President Brandon Millett. “Since we bring real military heroes into our theater, our events tend to create life changing experiences. These films are truly inspirational and we look forward to sharing them.”
The 2013 GIFF at a glance:
- 50 Film Screenings—50 films spanning the Civil War era to wars in Iraq and Afghanistan will be shown at various locations including the AMC Shirlington Theater in Arlington, the AMC Hoffman Theater in Alexandria, and the U.S. Navy Memorial Theater in DC.
- Robert Davi, Bond Girls, and Aston Martin Classic Cars—”Secrets and Spies” black-tie gala and silent auction will kick-off the festival on Monday, May 6 with special guest, acclaimed actor and Bond film villain Robert Davi at the Signature Theater in Arlington.
- Congressional Reception with Sen. Richard Blumenthal and Rep. John Kline (invitation only)—Disney and Broadway Star Christy Carlson Romano will perform the National Anthem during GIFF’s Congressional reception honoring veterans on Tuesday, May 7.
- International Film Night with David James Elliott—JAG star David James Elliott will host GIFF’s International Film Night at the Canadian Embassy on Wednesday, May 8. Short films from six countries will be featured including Canada, Germany, the U.K., Australia, Denmark and the U.S. A VIP reception will follow.
- Wounded Warrior Appreciation night – Held on Thursday, May 9, this event will feature a primetime film screening and an appearance by special guest, actor Mykelti Williamson. Perhaps best known for his portrayal of Bubba Gump in Forrest Gump, Williamson has starred in numerous films, including Heat, Con-Air and Lucky Number Slevin. He will also star in Fox’s upcoming new military drama Wild Blue.
- Friday Night Red Carpet Event with actor and military veteran Mark Valley—Mark Valley of Boston Legal and Body of Proof fame will receive GIFF’s inaugural “Veterans in Entertainment” award on Friday, May 10 at the AMC Shirlington Theater. This event will also feature a “first look” screening of Rox Maxwell’s new Civil War epic Copperhead.
More guest appearances and surprise events will be announced closer to the date. Visit GIFF’s website to view a full schedule of events and to purchase tickets. Tickets range in price from $12 dollars for movie tickets to $50 for a film premiere and reception. Military discounts are available. Tickets for the “Secrets and Spies” gala are $135 per person ($250 per couple).
Visit gifilmfestival.com/ for more information.