Kennedy DN-ST-82-08870

USS JOHN F. KENNEDY (CV 67) underway in 1982. US Navy photo DN-ST-82-08870

The Rhode Island Aviation Hall of Fame is working to bring the decommissioned aircraft carrier ex-USS John F. Kennedy (CV 67) to Rhode Island. The group hopes to open the carrier (the last non-nuclear carrier to be commissioned by the United States) as a museum and educational center on Narragansett Bay. At this early stage of the project, the group is trying to connect with the roughly 75,000 men and women who served on board the carrier during her 38 year service with the U.S. Navy.

USS John F. Kennedy was commissioned in 1968, having been christened a year earlier by the fallen President’s nine year old daughter Caroline. The ship has a long history of combat operations, from airstrikes over Beirut in the 1980’s, to attacks on Iraq during the Gulf War in 1991, through Operation Enduring Freedom in Afghanistan. Kennedy was decommissioned in 2007, and is currently laid up in the reserve fleet at Philadelphia. The Navy has made the ship available for donation as a museum. A group in Maine initially tried to bring the ship up to that northern New England state, but efforts now are focused on bringing the carrier to Rhode Island.

The USS John F. Kennedy Aircraft Carrier Project team asks interested parties to reply by email to ussjfkennedy@aol.com with basic contact information: full name, address, and phone number. For CV 67 vets, it would also be helpful to include the dates you served aboard, along with a very brief description of your assignment. And for those who are willing to represent the CV 67 project in a local community, please mention that in your email. The group does not intend to use this information for any purpose other than saving the ship, nor will they distribute it to third parties.

Please visit them on the web at: www.ussjfkri.org. The group also has a great collection of photos of the ship taken during a 2010 inspection tour on their Facebook page.

USS JFK Philadelphia

Ex-USS JOHN F. KENNEDY at the Philadelphia Naval Business Center in 2012, with ex-USS FORRESTAL in the background.

This entry was posted in Museum Ship, News and tagged , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

22 Responses to Group Hoping to Obtain Carrier ex-USS John F. Kennedy (CV 67) Looking for Help of Veterans

1. Ron Hall says:

2/2/1969 to 2/3/1971 RD3 OI Div

2. william land jr says:

even in dry dock big john never looked this bad

• Guy G. Cenname says:

I could agree with you on that statement. I was aboard her in DECK DEPT., 3rd. Division between 1990 – 20MAR91. I left her when we were in the Red Sea during Desert Storm. I used to paint her sides and bulkheads. This photo of her sitting in Philly makes me sad just looking at her. My nick name was John Bon Senami, just to let you know. Chow. My email is Cennameguy@yahoo.com. Capt. Brown was in charge until Capt. Gay came aboard back then. Keep in touch. Guy from Los Angeles, CA. 06/08/13.

• Guy G. Cenname says:

You could say that again!!! I was aboard her during 1990-1991. I was in DECK DEPT. DIV 3 until I flew off of her by COD when we were in the RED SEA. I thought she was DISMANTLED already. Keep in touch. 323-868-0097

3. Matthew David Ceaser MM2 says:

I was attached to the USS John F Kennedy 4 years 7 months 22 days. It has seen better days. Please let know if I can help and how.

4. Ed Tomes (Snoopy) says:

Radarman, OI Divison from pre-commissioning unit,1968, until April, 1971. I remember a new
    strong and proud ship with a damn good crew. This picture of the JFK in mothballs is
    enough to make cry!!

5. adrian "Doc" Noel says:

looking 4 pty officer “randy Smith”, Steven p. vanbloone, Wayne Beokman, Mario Ore, and those involved….please contact…

6. Roy Phillips says:

I am a plank owner. Made first Med. cruise. Assigned to R2 Div. Never received my plank owners certificate any ideas on obtaining one?

7. I served from 1978/80 Med. Cruise as AO3
    G-4, G-2 and flight deck ordnance. We had the golden
    Anchors award the battle E .
    I’m sure that before she comes to Rhode island
    She will have a new paint job. I would be honored to
    Be of service anyway possible tel. 978-314-3005

8. Velma Layne says:

Good to hear efforts are taking place to honor the JFK (CVA 67). I served from 1969 thru 1971 as a Jet Mechanic in the Mediterranean Sea. Let me know if you need me to represent your efforts in my community.

9. Willie Kinney says:

I never seen “Big Bad John” look like this; Restore her glory by returning her “coats”. I served from 1992 to 1994 as a Boiler Technician in the P-1 Division

10. Stiles "Mike" Turner says:

I was ships company AIMD IM2 Div. 1969-1971 and served as an aircraft special metals welder. What a ship, we called it home and it was. Best memories of my sea board life. Wish old John could find a home and all could see what we saw.

11. Wes Satcher says:

ABF V-4 Division from 1987-1991
    Med cruise, Desert Shield and Desert Storm. I’ve taken a few layers of paint off of her and put a couple on her. Fueled more sorties than I can count. Give me a needle gun and a paint bucket and I will be happy to help restore her again. Love my ship.

12. Robert Joseph Bernotus says:

I served from 1968 to 1971. I was in the original crew of 300. I am a plank owner E3.

13. Timothy Turner says:

I was ships company from 1981-1985. I went thru the suez canal on that ship

14. Gary Henault says:

Onboard between 77-80 with VF-14. Made two Med cruises (77 & 78/79) Ship looks in rough shape. Saw her in Boston just before decommissioning.

15. Troy Phillips says:

Wow!!! I was on the ship from 1987 to 1990. It has seen better days.

16. James Ferro ABHAN-V1 DIV. says:

Was on that first suez/indian ocean cruise,loved working that flight deck. i’m glad to see that she is still around and hope she finds a home.got alot of good pictures while i was on that deck.

17. Duane "TEX"Hester says: