RDML Jay DeLoach Steps Down as Director of Naval History

RDML DeLoachA statement from Rear Admiral Jay DeLoach, USN (Ret), Director of the Naval History and Heritage Command:

“I shared with my command today that I will be voluntarily stepping down as their director. The turnover process with the new director will commence May 1 and end prior to May 15. When I took this job in 2008, I was tasked by the Chief of Naval Operations with fixing an organization that had fallen into obscurity for a variety of reasons and to rebuild it into a viable Echelon II command capable of executing its mission and making naval history ‘come alive’ for the Navy and the American public. Since then, the revived Naval History and Heritage Command has made tremendous improvements in collecting, preserving, protecting, and making available the history of the Navy as noted by the recent Blue Ribbon Panel.

While I am very impressed with the strides that this team has made in preserving and telling the history of the world’s finest Navy, I believe it’s time for a new leader to expand on recent progress and deal with the challenges before us. I am proud of the men and women of the History and Heritage Command and incredibly grateful for the opportunity to lead them. We have been on a long journey together over the past 4 years, and would not be as far along as we are without the dedication and commitment of everyone at NHHC.

My successor will bring a new infusion of energy to the command to continue on our journey into the future. The past four years at NHHC has tested every aspect of my professional talents and leadership and I am confident of the legacy of change and the connection with our Navy that I leave to my successor.”

This entry was posted in History, News and tagged , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

9 Responses to RDML Jay DeLoach Steps Down as Director of Naval History

1. Jim Dolbow says:

Job well done shipmate. Naval History was brought into the 21st Century under RDML DeLoach’s leadership particularly in the area of Social Media. I know for a fact that if it weren’t for his support the NHHC would not have a presence on Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, and Naval History Blog. He provided me with the guidance and command support to get the job done and for that I am forever grateful. Moreover, history will prove that the decades long neglect of naval history by the U.S. Navy came to an end during DeLoach’s watch.

2. Joseph Thompson says:

RDML Deloach is a 21st Century leader. He was forward thinking and had a solid vision for the future. He tried to bring a 19th Century into the 21st Century. He used Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, and Naval History Blog to bring Naval History to a younger audience. he will be sorely missed.

3. HMCM L. Lookingbill (SS,FMF) USNret. says:

This is only a small step that has been needed to clean up the Naval History and Heritage Commands problems; Adm. DeLoach was in way over his head and filled the leadership possitions with his friends (non-museum industry friends) We need a clean sweep and refit of the command. This command has needed true leadership for a very long time, midlevel personel have been keeping it afloat for years with no help from above

• Jim Dolbow says:

RDML DeLoach was far from being in over his head at the NHHC but if your definition of being in over one’s head is increasing your command’s budget 46 percent over the previous year than I guess you are right. The only problem with the Navy’s IG report was that it knew so much that was not so. He is the first Director in decades to have made progress towards addressing the backlog of accessions and housing of artifacts in non-climate controlled facilities. CAPT Hendrix will find a much improved NHHC on Day One than DeLoach did on his first day on the job I can assure you.

4. HMCM L. Lookingbill (SS,FMF) USNret. says:

Sorry if I offend but Adm. DeLoach increased the budget so he could hire all his non-qualified friends and family; placeing them in leadership possitions, while refuseing to even interview exsisting NHHC personel for promotion. In his first year at NHHC he used speaking oppertunities H.N.S.A. (historic naval ships assc.) for example to promote hispanics in the navy more then Navy History. What the NHHC nneds is a complete leadership overhaul, and refit with qualified historian/museum personal.

SWEEPERS SWEEPERS MAN YOUR BROOMS; MOPPERS MAN YOUR MOPS, EMPTY ALL BUCKETS BOW TO STEARN; CLEAN SWEEP FORE TO AFT.

5. Jeff says:

Well said, Jim. RDML DeLoach is leaving the bridge in much better condition than it was in before he arrived. Money, personnel, programs, backlog reductions. It’s amazing the people who will comment without knowing anywhere NEAR the full scope of the problems that existed for decades and will most likely exist at NHHC for years to come, until the proper level of funding is received and new facilities are provided by the Navy. The problems noted by the IG weren’t created by RDML DeLoach, but he was willing to tackle head on, largely WITH the staff’s help, despite what naysayers mouth off about.

6. I saw that DeLoach tackeled problems head on. I still see staff that does not communicate with the museums and other people trying to preserve and present history. Capt. Hendrix seems like he wants to move things forward, I hope he can quickly send some of the bad apples in NHHC off to retirement.